If you are looking for a washing machine that offers water efficiency and a modern approach to doing laundry, a front-load washing machine is easily one of the best options. However fantastic these appliances are, they do have one small pitfall: the tendency to develop odors. Because this washing machine has an air-tight tub when the door is closed, it makes the appliance more susceptible to the development of mildew and mold. Thankfully, there are a few nifty tricks to stop odors dead in their tracks in your front-load washing machine.
1. Use only the recommended type of detergent. - Front-load washing machines require the use of high-efficiency detergent. High-efficiency detergent is formulated to work properly with the sensitive drainage system of the washing machine. Use of other detergents could cause the drainage system inside the basket to get clogged and may result in foul odors.
2. Avoid using too much detergent. - There is a huge tendency for people to use more detergent because they think that it will get clothing cleaner during a wash cycle. However, with a front-load washing machine, it is crucial that you only use recommended detergent levels for yoru clothes. Too much soap can cause what is often referred to as "soap lock" which is residue from the soap blocking water from draining during spin cycles. Not only will this compromise the ability of the washer to eliminate water from clothing, it can also mean vulnerability to mold and mildew.
3. Leave the door ajar after cycles. - Allow airflow into the washer between cycles or when it is not in use by leaving your washer door slightly ajar. The air-tight seal along with the remaining moisture in the basket can cause mildew and mold to develop.
4. Clean the filter regularly. - Just beneath the washer there is a line that expels water from the basket to he drain line. There is a filter that captures hair, debris, and other gunk to prevent clogging the drain line. Clean this filter regularly to keep odors down.
5. Make use of the basket clean feature. - Most modern front-load washing machines have a preinstalled basket cleaning feature. This cycle uses excessively hot water and more water than usual to eliminate grime inside of your basket. To further enhance the cleaning power of this cycle, add a cup of bleach to the reservoir or even a cup of white distilled vinegar to clear odors.
Contact a local appliance service professional, like those at Goldman Appliances Inc or a similar location, for more tips and info.